- Listen more than you talk.
- Stay focused on what the other person is saying—not on what you’re going to say next. Don’t plan a story you want to tell while the person is still talking.
- Never finish another person’s sentences.
- Resist the urge to dominate the conversation. (Review tip No. 1.)
- Give appropriate feedback, but don’t interrupt.
- Occasionally mirror back short summations of what the other person is saying to keep your mind from moving on to other subjects and to assure the other person that you’ve understood what he or she has been saying.
Source: Kelly Services.