The responsibility for ensuring that every member of the sales team is successful lies entirely with management, and below are the eight reasons why salespeople fail.
In fact, I usually ask just three very straightforward questions in order to identify why a salesperson is underachieving:
- Are they visiting/talking to enough clients/prospects?
- Are they talking to the right people within those client/prospect organizations?
- Are they saying/doing the right things?
However, this list, whilst not exhaustive, remains extremely accurate:
- Wrong or no selection process - The wrong person for the position
- Wrong or no training - Insufficiently developed
- Wrong or no planning - Expected to do all of their own planning
- Wrong or no supervision - Left without competent supervision
- Wrong or no motivation - Not properly motivated to meet objectives
- Wrong or no stimulation - Not stimulated by appropriate incentives
- Wrong or no evaluation - Not regularly appraised against a set of agreed objectives
- Wrong or no executive action - Not adequately supported by a competent manager
Management has responsibility for all of these, including the last one!