Friday, January 11, 2008

Look who is back ...

I can give you a dozen of reasons why I didn't post, but as the French say: "Les excuses sont fait pour s'en servir", and so I am not going to comment it any further. Good news is, I am trying again, and I am almost convinced my frequency will increase.

January 31/February 1 will be turning point in my life, after almost 4 years, I will trade in Dell for Plantronics to become their Business Segment Unit Marketing Manager for EMEA. I accepted the challenge at Plantronics for 3 major reasons:

  1. Responsibility
    Having end-to-end responsibility for marketing on an EMEA level, in stead of just focusing on some Lines of Business.
  2. Products
    With the cross over from desktop to notebook and broadband connections representing between 40 and 80% of the Internet connections in EMEA, VOIP is gaining importance. The speakers and microphones built in to notebooks are not good enough to have a decent conversation, and that is where the opportunity for wireless headsets comes in. Also the fact that more and more notebooks come with built in webcams will help the headset business grow.
  3. Home office
    When I will not be traveling, I will have the comfort of a home office. Today, I am driving up and down to the Brussels office (210Km/day or +60.000Km/year- somewhere between 2.5 and 4 hours per day of commuting). The home office will increase my quality of life enormously.

Coming back to Digital Marketing (see first post), I was amazed about the power of Twitter. I never could have imagined the number of people that have read my Tweed. My Tweets feed into Plaxo Pulse, Spock and Facebook and that is where all the reactions came from. It is that interoperability that makes Twitter an strong communication vehicle, something to keep in the back of your mind.

I have been playing a lot with Facebook as well, and I can see the business model of it. The only back side of Facebook is that it is not only populated with "friends" but also with other people. So, if you are trying to build your personal brand, keep in mind that what you do on Facebook can be seen by many...

That was it for today.

Have some FUN.